Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sitting in my hotel room in Santiago, Dominican Republic watching the IIHF World Junior Hockey Gold Medal game! Ahhhh technology!

Giddyup - Canada just scored!

I am exhausted. It's quite the production getting in and out of Haiti. When you fly into the DR you stay overnight because 99% of the time you'll miss getting to the border between the DR and Haiti before it closes.

Then you have to pay $25 USD to leave the DR and $1 USD to "arrive" or stamp into Haiti. It feels a bit like you have to walk a guantlet on a dirt road with garbage and animals and shacks and people selling things. Market days (Monday and Friday) are particularly busy.

Today I had Annie, Mike and Jude come across with me with Annie getting me stamped out/in of each country. Linzi met us at the border and we walked over to the bus depot to catch a guagua. (Thanks Bertico!!!) Saying goodbye is so hard but it was easier than previous times because I know when I am going back.

However it doesn't make missing the kids any easier.

Likendly came to me this morning and said "I going to miss you when you go".................... break my heart.

Last night before bed I was talking to a bunch of the boys about when I move down and asked who wanted to come live me. Benedith immediately yelled "ME and we'll have roasted marshmellows every night!!"
I've never had roasted marshmellows with Benedith but I was laughing too hard to ask where that came from!

Jameson got a Power Rangers raincoat for Christmas which HAD to be worn to school yesterday. However when it came time to take it off and give it to me before he went into school there was a fair bit of crying. TODAY he said to me on the way to school "Mami Jennie, I not going to cry when you take my jacket at school." And he didn't. What a difference a day makes.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, you are truly inspiring!! What an amazing heart you have! Congratulations to you for the difference you are making in these childrens' lives. Thank you for sharing your experiences. It really is an eye opener!

    ReplyDelete